Ever since sending Vidal Nuno to the Arizona Diamondbacks in a trade on July 6, it has been nothing short of an amazing experience for Brandon McCarthy with the New York Yankees, who has seen a bit of a career rejuvenation in the Bronx.
After being told to use his cutter more and mix up his pitches, he's pitched to a 1.90 ERA in the Bronx with a 5-2 record after starting the year 3-10 with a 5.01 ERA, which are astounding numbers given that McCarthy was seen as a journeyman pitcher, but his numbers have been literally lights out.
McCarthy is a free agent after the 2014 season and could be in line for a decent pay day in free agency and when he talked to Dan Barbarisi of the Wall Street Journal about a possible future in New York and coming back after the 2014 season, McCarthy said he was definitely open to the idea of a second tour of duty.
“Yeah. There wouldn’t be a question in my mind about that,” he said when asked about returning to New York. “I feel like it’s a great fit for me here. The guys here have been fantastic, everybody associated with the club. And it’s living in New York — there’s so many great aspects.”
Arizona gave him a two-year, $18 million deal before the 2013 season, so the 31-year-old could be in line for a slight pay raise, yet something like a two-year, $24-26 million deal would be a good contract offer for the Yankees to consider giving McCarthy.
With CC Sabathia rehabbing a degenerative knee condition that needed surgery and Masahiro Tanaka being no guarantee to return and possibly needing surgery, plus Ivan Nova having Tommy John Surgery back in April, the Yankees rotation next season doesn't have many guarantees or locks, so it would make all the sense in the world to make McCarthy an early offer, possibly before the start of free agency in late October/early November.
Who knew adding a cutter into his repertoire of pitches would make McCarthy go from a 5.00-ERA pitcher into a 1.90-ERA pitcher and from a $9 million pitcher into a possible $12-13 million pitcher when this season is all set and done.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets. Tags: Arizona Diamondbacks, Baseball, Brandon McCarthy, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- New York Yankees Trade for Brandon McCarthy Isn’t a Big Help for Team
- New York Yankees: Vidal Nuno’s 1st Start and Brandon McCarthy Prepares for Debut
- New York Yankees’ Brandon McCarthy Explains Adjustments Made That Turned Season Around
- New York Yankees Pitcher Brandon McCarthy’s Wife, Amanda McCarthy, is a Must Follow on Twitter
- New York Yankees Acquire Brandon McCarthy from Arizona Diamondbacks for Vidal Nuno
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1etv