If the Yankees want in on the bidding war for Rusney Castillo, they will have to submit a bid by the end of the week.
The Cuban defector, whom the Yankees like as a second baseman while other clubs believe him to be an outfielder, still has private workouts scheduled this week.
Castillo worked out for the Yankees last week in Tampa and although he has been considered an outfielder by trade, the Yankees seemed to like the idea of the Cuban defector at second base. New York is apparently in the minority on that one.
King's report also points out that many offers have come in for the 27-year-old and that Castillo could make his decision by next week. Despite his insistence that the Yankees have this deadline, King says it isn't yet known if the Bronx Bombers are one of the teams that made an offer already.
Castillo is keen on playing in the big leagues this season, according to the New York Post report. He hasn't played a game in over a year and would have to get back into the swing of things in the minors before entering a major-league contest.
Castillo could cost upwards of $50 million in a contract thanks to his predecessors from Cuba. Castillo isn't as highly-touted as guys like Jose Abreu, Yasiel Puig or Yoenis Cespedes, but the recent success of Cuban-born players will get Castillo that much money anyway.
Scouts have compared Castillo to Brett Gardner with his speed and ability to play the outfield; however his physique is seen as quite impressive and he has drawn a comparison to Rickey Henderson in that regard.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Brett Gardner, Jose Abreu, MLB, New York, New York Yankees, rickey henderson, rusney castillo, Yoenis Cespedes
- Rusney Castillo, New York Yankees Ready to Talk Contract After Private Workout
- New York Yankees to Scout Cuban Outfielder Rusney Castillo on Saturday
- Yankees Rumors: Rusney Castillo to Hold Private Workout with New York on Friday
- Yankees Rumors: David Robertson May Accept Qualifying Offer After 2014
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1egi