Over the last year, New York Yankees captain and shortstop Derek Jeter has received a lot of interesting gifts from the cities he has visited; whether it be a paddle-board, cowboy boots, plaques, bases, the list is endless.
So what would the Baltimore Orioles actually do as far as a gift goes for the Yankees retiring captain? Buck Showalter, former Yankees manager and current Orioles manager, had a very unique, but a rather twisted idea, one that brings a lot of agony to the city of Baltimore and to their fan base.
“I would give him a big picture of the home run,” Showalter told reporters Monday before Baltimore’s 11-3 win over the Yankees. “Well, it wasn’t a home run. We know that. That’s what I’d give him. A big picture and have the whole Baltimore Orioles team sign it. That’s a good idea. That’s cheap, too, right? Make it in bronze or something. Not that we remember that at all.”
The home run Showalter is referring to is the one from Game 1 of the 1996 American League Championship Series between the Yankees and Orioles at the old Yankee Stadium and Jeter hit a game tying home run, but with a little help from a fan by the name of Jeffrey Maier, who reached over the wall to get the ball and make sure Orioles outfielder Tony Tarasco couldn't make a play on the ball.
It's odd that Showalter would make a public comment like that especially since he was Jeter's manager and has ties to the Yankees from the past, byt you could look at Showalter being bitter since he was fired after 1995 and the team hired Joe Torre to be his replacement and that year was when the team won their first World Series since 1978.
That's always been Showalter though, a day late and a dollar short. He helped rebuild the Yankees before he got fired and they won the World Series. He then helped rebuild the Arizona Diamondbacks before he was fired, then hired Bob Brenly and they won the World Series in 2001. After that, he helped rebuild the Texas Rangers team, was also fired again, and they made it to two consecutive World Series appearances under Ron Washington. Showalter is trying with the Orioles though and with them in first place of the A.L. East, they have a legit chance this season for a chance at the Fall Classic.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- Los Angeles Angels Present New York Yankees’ Derek Jeter with Giant Paddleboard as Farewell Gift Before Game
- Derek Jeter: New York Yankees SS Receives Farewell Gift from New York Mets
- New York Yankees’ Derek Jeter Kicks Joe Buck Out of Locker Room Before 2014 All Star Game (Video)
- New York Yankees Defeat Baltimore Orioles 4-2 in Derek Jeter’s Final Opening Day of Career
- New York Yankees: Derek Jeter’s Great Bat Bench Gift from White Sox
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1eg1