Michael Pineda spoke to the media on Monday after it was reported that he would start on Wednesday versus the Baltimore Orioles, and the New York Yankees starter was asked if he would continue using pine tar.
Of course, Pineda was suspended for 10 games earlier in the season after he was caught blatantly using the stuff against the Boston Red Sox. Pineda was actually caught twice on national television versus Boston, but it was his second offense that was caught by umpires.
So, now that Pineda is back on the mound for the first time since April, it was inevitable that someone would ask him about the pine tar.
Wallace Matthews of ESPNNewYork.com didn't ask the question, but he reported that someone did:
This just happened — Q to Pineda: "will you continue to use pine tar?" A: "No." Death stare
— wallace matthews (@ESPNNYYankees) August 11, 2014
Brendan Kuty of NJ.com had more Pineda quotes on the matter:
"I know I made a mistake that day," said Pineda, who then strained his teres major muscle during the ban. That put him on the disabled list, where he's been since May 6.
"I said sorry to my team, sorry to everybody," he said. "So I'm going to continue my career and I want to help my team right now."
Pineda shouldn't be surprised or angry to be asked that question. After all, aside from his injuries, the pine tar mess is the biggest storyline of his 2014 season. This is the New York media, any and all questions are always on the table.
Thankfully Pineda said no or else more controversy would ensue. If he is going to use it again, maybe next time Pineda shouldn't make it so visible and he won't have to deal with these issues ever again.
He's certainly had plenty of time to practice his pine tar-hiding skills.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Boston Red Sox, Michael Pineda, MLB, New York, New York Yankees