Manny Machado has already had to undergo reconstructive knee surgery on his left knee, which forced him out for the remainder of the 2013 regular season.
After Monday night, Baltimore Orioles fans everywhere were holding their collective breaths, as when Machado went to swing at a pitch from New York Yankees starter Chris Capuano, he slipped and fell to the dirt holding his knee in agony.
Machado couldn't even walk off on his own power and had to be carried off. The injury at the time was being called a sprained knee, but further tests need to be ran to determine how serious of a knee injury Machado has suffered. It had been raining earlier in the game and the ground may have cause Machado to slip to the ground and got his knee all twisted up like it did on the play.
For those who haven't watched NFL games, a knee injury like that with no contact involved and a knee going in that kind of direction kind of signals either a torn ACL or torn MCL or possibly both and it wouldn't be surprising at all if that's the injury Machado has suffered, which if is the case, would be a crushing blow for a team in first place of the American League East.
Machado in 83 games was hitting .277 with 12 home runs and 32 RBI for the Orioles and was 1-for-2 before the injury. Chris Davis replaced Machado in the lineup and in the field when he left the game.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baltimore Orioles, Baseball, Manny Machado, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- New York Yankees’ Brian Roberts Offers Advice to Former Orioles Teammate Manny Machado on Bat-Throwing Incident
- New York Yankees: Carlos Beltran’s 3-Run Walkoff Home Run Vs. Baltimore Orioles (Video)
- Carlos Beltran Hits 11th Career Grand Slam During 6th Inning Yankees 10-6 Win Over Indians (Video)
- Michael Pineda to Be Activated from 60-Day DL, Will Start for New York Yankees on Wednesday Vs. Baltimore Orioles
- New York Yankees Vs. Baltimore Orioles: Full Preview, Pitching Matchups, Lineups of Series at Camden Yards
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1efh