Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports was the first one to break the news on the two Phillies players being claimed by mystery teams, as now the Phillies have 48 hours to work out trades for those players or they pull back the players off waivers.
Sources: Hamels claimed on revocable trade waivers by unidentified club. #Phillies have 48 hours to work out a trade or pull him back.— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) August 6, 2014
The New York Yankees have had ties to both players this past year as far as trade rumors go; the Yankees were interested in Byrd but rejected Philadelphia's offer of Aaron Judge for Byrd; Judge is considered the Yankees best hitting and outfield prospect, while Hamels was offered to the Yankees, but Philadelphia wanted at least three top prospects in a return deal, which is why Hamels remained with the team on July 31.
Hamels is still owed $103 million over the next five seasons and his contract being moved would help the Phillies in their efforts to rebuild for the future and some think Phillies GM Ruben Amaro, Jr. is clinging onto the past too much and needs to sell now while he has a chance and that starts with moving Hamels and his massive salary.
Byrd on the other hand, is due $7.5 million next season, as he wouldn't be a rental, but his power could help a team like the Yankees who are always looking to load up on hitters with an offense that at times, has struggled in 2014.
The one thing that might hurt the Yankees chances is that the National League gets first crack at both players, then the American League. Some think the Los Angeles Dodgers could be players for Hamels in their effort to load up on pitching for a postseason run; same thing with Byrd although it's not clear what National League contender would want Byrd.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies Place Cole Hamels, Marlon Byrd on Waivers; Will Yankees Make a Claim?
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Likely to Claim Phillies’ Cole Hamels If Placed on Waivers
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Marlon Byrd Open to Being Traded to New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies Asked for Aaron Judge from Yankees in Deal for Marlon Byrd; were Obviously Turned Down
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees a Potential Landing Spot for Phillies’ Marlon Byrd
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1e95