If the rumors and reports are true, the Yankees weren't even close to landing Hamels on waivers. The story first broke from Mike Missanelli, a sports radio host on 97.5 in Philadelphia, that the Chicago Cubs were the team to claim Hamels off waivers from the Phillies.
My info sez the CUBS put in the waiver claim on Cole Hamels. Would the Phils trade him there now and would Cole accept?— Mike Missanelli (@MikeMiss975) August 7, 2014
Mike Kaplan of CSN Chicago also reported on the news as well and confirmed that the Cubs have had interest in Hamels, so the report of the Cubs getting the claim in may in fact, be true.
"While the Cubs were unavailable for comment late Wednesday evening, I did speak with two major league baseball sources outside of Chicago who believe that the Cubs would indeed be willing to acquire Hamels if he was made available. In addition, it is worth remembering that before Hamels agreed to a $144 million deal in 2012, he reportedly had the Cubs on a short list of teams that he was interested in."
If that is the case, the Phillies and Cubs have 48 hours to either work out a trade or pull Hamels back from waivers. Chicago does have solid prospects in their farm system necessary to pull off a trade if needed.
The Phillies could also just sent Hamels and his $103 million contract to the Cubs if they were the claiming team and take nothing in return, but Phillies GM Ruben Amaro, Jr. has been looking for multiple top prospects in a return deal for Hamels.
It would come as a major shock to see the Cubs be the team, especially since they just traded away both Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel to the Oakland A's last month, although Hamels would be considered a long-term investment and part of their future.
It remains to be seen though if Amaro is willing to part with Hamels, but if any team can figure out a trade given the prospects they possess, it's the Cubs.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cole Hamels, Marlon Byrd Claimed on Waivers by Anonymous Team; Could Yankees Be Team?
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Likely to Claim Phillies’ Cole Hamels If Placed on Waivers
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies Place Cole Hamels, Marlon Byrd on Waivers; Will Yankees Make a Claim?
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies Have Offered Cole Hamels to Yankees; Requesting Multiple Top Prospects in Return
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox Both in on Phillies’ Cole Hamels
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1e9k