In the bottom of the eighth inning, Brian McCann hit a ground ball that was nearly turned into a double play, but the ball went sailing near the New York Yankees dugout which allowed one run to score and Mark Teixeira was chugging around to try and score another run.
Teixeira got his hand in underneath the foot of Detroit Tigers catcher Bryan Holaday and at first, the play was called out, but the umpires went to the headsets to review it and they ended up reversing the call and called Teixeira safe, but Teixeira got his hand caught on Holaday's cleets and cut his left pinky in the process.
Teixeira was immediately taken out of the game and replaced by Chase Headley, who moved over from third to first to finish the game. Following the Yankees 5-1 win on Wednesday night, Teixeira had stitches put in on the pinky and had x-rays taken on his hand, which came back negative, as Bryan Hoch of MLB.com reported.
Mark Teixeira got three stitches, x-rays were negative.— Bryan Hoch (@BryanHoch) August 7, 2014
As a result of the injury though, Yankees manager Joe Girardi told the media immediately after the game that he would likely keep his starting first basemen out of the series finale against the Tigers on Thursday afternoon at Yankee Stadium.
Teixeira, who went 1-for-3 with an RBI in Wednesday's game, is hitting .230 with 19 home runs and 52 RBI on the season and if he were to hit the disabled list this late in the season, it would again be another crushing injury to a Yankees team and lineup that can't afford another injury considering they are fighting for playoff contention.
Chase Headley will likely move over to play first base in Teixeira's absence; Martin Prado will likely play third with Headley playing in Teixeira's spot for the time being.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- New York Yankees’ Mark Teixeira, Carlos Beltran to Test Their Respective Injuries on Thursday
- Mark Teixeira Admits He Can’t Play Through Injuries; Returns to Yankees Lineup
- Mark Teixeira Returns to New York Yankees Lineup; Will Play on Friday Vs. Minnesota Twins
- Mark Teixeira Expects to Play at Least 150 Games for New York Yankees in 2014
- New York Yankees’ Mark Teixeira Gets Pinch-Hit Single in 8th Inning; Likely to Return Full-Time to Lineup on Tuesday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1e94