Yankees general manager Brian Cashman admitted he is looking at a date in September, but he won't give anything more specific, per Daniel Barbarisi of The Wall Street Journal:
Yankees have a target date in mind for Tanaka return, Cashman admitted, but said "I'm not going to say it." said it's "Defintely" in Sept.
— Daniel Barbarisi (@DanBarbarisi) August 5, 2014
Tanaka was originally given a six-week timetable for return that would have put his comeback in the last week of August. Wisely, the Yanks appear to be content with taking their time with Tanaka in the hopes of not rushing him back and him suffering a worse injury that would require Tommy John surgery.
The first week of September would be a safe estimate should there be no hiccups along the way. That would leave about three weeks or so for Tanaka to make enough of an impact to get the Yankees to October.
As for his rehab, Tanaka once again took part in a throwing session on Tuesday, his second in two days. He threw the ball 50 times, which was a step up from the 25 he threw on Monday, and everything checked out fine for the Japanese star.
Tanaka threw again today …50 throws at 60 feet… All went well #yankees
— Meredith Marakovits (@M_Marakovits) August 5, 2014
At this point, no news is good news in regard to Tanaka. Any setback will undoubtedly end his season and the 25-year-old will almost certainly have a date with Tommy John surgery in that instance.
Tanaka and the Yankees are looking to avoid that, thus their patience in bringing him back after his original timetable.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Brian Cashman, Masahiro Tanaka, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- New York Yankees’ Masahiro Tanaka Feels Great After 50-Pitch Game of Catch; First Step in Recovery
- Masahiro Tanaka Talks About Elbow Injury, Return to New York Yankees
- New York Yankees’ Masahiro Tanaka Will Skip 2014 All Star Game Festivities; Focus on Rehab
- Masahiro Tanaka Reacts After Monday Throwing Session with New York Yankees
- Yankees Notes: CC Sabathia Return Date, Carlos Beltran Feels Pain and Heath Bell
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1e7k