On Friday night, Stephen Drew would be playing in front of the typical crowd at Fenway Park that he would normally play in front of during the 2014 season. Only this time, it was in a different uniform.
Fresh off being traded to the New York Yankees in exchange for Kelly Johnson, Drew would make his debut for the team playing against his old one in the Boston Red Sox just 24 hours after getting dealt.
His first game in the visiting grays though was less than memorable though, as Drew went 0-for-4 in his debut for the team and the Yankees ended up falling 4-3 in the opening game of a three game set at Fenway.
His at-bats were nothing special; a ground out to Mike Napoli in the top of the second inning, a ground out to Dustin Pedroia in the top of the fourth inning, a fly out to Allen Craig in the top of the seventh inning and a fly out to Mookie Bets in the top of the ninth inning. No strikeouts, which is good, but no hits either, nor any runs. Just a very uneventful game. It was the first one that he started at second base though for the career-long shortstop.
Now on the season, Drew is hitting .170 with four home runs and 11 RBI in 40 games; he didn't sign with Boston until June and some think the first month of the season was his "spring training," getting the rust off his swing.
Drew will have another opportunity to help the Yankees when they play Boston again on Saturday and takes his swings against Red Sox starter Allen Webster.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Boston Red Sox, MLB, New York, New York Yankees, Stephen Drew
- Stephen Drew to Make Debut for New York Yankees Vs. Boston Red Sox on Friday; Will Bat 8th in Lineup
- Boston Red Sox Trade Stephen Drew to New York Yankees
- New York Yankees Trade with Boston Red Sox for Stephen Drew; First Deal Since 1997
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1e1p