The New York Yankees have been tied to just about every single starter mentioned on the trade market this month. You can cross off at least two names of that very long list.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported on Wednesday that while the Yankees did in fact contact the San Diego Padres reliever Joaquin Benoit, the are not in on Chicago White Sox lefty starter John Danks, nor are they in on Colorado Rockies starter Brett Anderson.
Both Danks and Anderson are considered to be part of the mid-level trade market for starting pitchers that the Yankees could have had to settle on if they couldn't land a big-time starter, but it's quite possible that the Yankees might be eyeing the bigger names out there.
They were reported to be offered Cole Hamels of the Philadelphia Phillies if they surrender multiple top prospects, which many don't think they'll do; they won't be able to get Jon Lester from the Boston Red Sox as Boston won't trade their ace to their most hated rival and it's unclear if the Tampa Bay Rays will even trade David Price, especially since he started for them on Wednesday afternoon. Cliff Lee of the Phillies is available, though, as he's made two starts since coming back from the disabled list.
The Yankees need for starting pitching is a dire one as the have CC Sabathia out for the season due to needing knee surgery last week, Masahiro Tanaka out with an elbow injury and potentially needing Tommy John Surgery and Ivan Nova out with a torn ligament and had Tommy John Surgery back in April. Michael Pineda will start a rehab assignment in the next week and could return sometime in August.
The team acquired Brandon McCarthy, who is 3-0 with a 2.55 in four starts with the Yankees and Chris Capuano, who pitched six innings against the Toronto Blue Jays this past Saturday, but that's simply not enough being a third place team, especially since their "ace" is a 39-year-old Hiroki Kuroda.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Brett Anderson, Chicago White Sox, Colorado Rockies, John Danks, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Showing Interest in Colorado Rockies LHP Brett Anderson
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees, Chicago White Sox in Early Talks Discussing John Danks Trade
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Won’t Give up Much for John Danks
- MLB Trade Rumors: John Danks a Worse Option for New York Yankees than Cliff Lee
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees, Colorado Rockies Talking Trade for LHP Jorge De La Rosa: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dyy