Masterson has been drawing plenty of trade interest in recent days with the Indians looking to move him. In return, Cleveland would like to get their hands on some young pitchers who are under team control.
Sources: Indians very willing to move Justin Masterson. FA to be due back Friday from DL. Looking for young, controllable starting pitching.
— Jeff Passan (@JeffPassan) July 28, 2014
Who isn't looking for that?
Joe Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Yankees don't have Masterson on their radar:
However, when I checked with the Yankees he was not on their radar, though they continue to look for a starter upgrade on at least Chris Capuano.
In 2014, Masterson is pitching to a 4-6 record while sporting an ugly 5.51 ERA. It's easily the worst season of his career, although many have blamed his struggles on a knee injury. In 2013, Masterson was much better after going 14-10 with a 3.45 ERA.
Masterson is coming off a 15-day disabled list stint with that knee issue and will be activated on Friday versus the Texas Rangers. That means he will fail to make his next start before the trade deadline passes, thus forcing teams to take a big risk on him. He's set to become a free agent in 2015, as well.
Because of that kind of uncertainty around the 29-year-old, he doesn't have much value on the trade market, unless it's through the waiver process.
The Yankees are smart to pass on such a conquest. Considering his numbers are worse than every other starting pitcher the Yanks are sending out there and Masterson has yet to prove his knee is OK, it would be pointless to trade away any kind of young talent for the right-hander.
Nothing to see here.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Bronx, Cleveland Indians, justin masterson, MLB, New York, New York Yankees, Texas Rangers
- MLB Trade Rumors: Yankees Interested in Phillies’ John Mayberry Jr.
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Strongly Interested in San Diego Padres 3B Chase Headley
- MLB Trade Rumors: Philadelphia Phillies Aren’t Interested in Trading Cole Hamels; Yankees Could Turn Attention to Cliff Lee
- MLB Trade Rumors: Texas Rangers Interested in Trading for New York Yankees’ Kelly Johnson; Who’s on Trading Block
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cliff Lee Likely to Waive No-Trade Clause; Yankees Continue to Make Most Sense for Trade
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dww