George Ofman of WBBM radio reported the rumor:
Sources: Yankees have discussed Jake Arrieta. Told it would take an offer the Cubs could not refuse.
— George Ofman (@georgeofman) July 27, 2014
Arrieta is having a stellar season for the lowly Cubs. The 28-year-old right-hander is 5-2 and sports an impressive 2.18 ERA in 2014. Before getting too excited, the important part about Ofman's tweet is that it will take a lot for the Yanks to get their hands on Arrieta.
Most likely that means some top prospects will be necessary to land the talented starter, whose team is in desperate need of good, young talent as it continues to rebuild in Chicago.
On the bright side, if the Yanks were to give up some of their farm, Arrieta is young and under team control for the next three seasons before becoming a free agent in 2018, which is when his agent, Scott Boras, will go to work trying to get Arrieta an astronomical amount of money.
Theo Epstein will undoubtedly be looking at pitcher Luis Severino and outfielder Aaron Judge. Both youngsters are the cream of the Yankees' crop at the moment and would almost certainly be involved in any deal for Arrieta.
That seems a bit risky from the Yanks' standpoint as Arrieta pitched to a 4.78 ERA with both the Baltimore Orioles and Cubs in 2013, although he did pitch much better after landing in Chicago. Still, that's not a safe enough track record to trade away top young players like the Yanks will have to.
Despite his shady history as a subpar pitcher in Baltimore before a breakout season this year, Arrieta has the best numbers this season of any pitcher the Yanks have reportedly targeted or traded for in the past few months.
He's an intriguing option for Yankees general manager Brian Cashman to pursue, but the price must be right for the GM to pull the trigger, and right now it doesn't appear that's the case.
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees, Colorado Rockies Talking Trade for LHP Jorge De La Rosa: Report
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees, San Diego Padres Talking Trade for Former Yankee Ian Kennedy: Report
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cubs Considering Signing Jeff Samardzija to Extension; Would Severely Alter Yankees Trade Plans
- MLB Trade Rumors: Chicago Cubs Listening to Offers for Jeff Samardzija, Jason Hammel; New York Yankees in Play
- MLB Trade Rumors: Toronto Blue Jays Now in on Cubs’ Jason Hammel; Give Yankees Competiton for Him
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1duo