Castillo is a 27-year-old outfielder who has defected from his former country and has been cleared by Major League Baseball to sign with a team.
Castillo is known to have very good speed on the bases and in the field with his small frame at 5-foot-9. In the batter's box, Castillo is said to be similar to Brett Gardner with more pop and he has a great line-drive stroke that has become highly touted.
Many scouts believe he is no more than a fourth outfielder, however there are others who think Castillo can be more. Aside from showing his stuff in center field, Castillo will also display his skills at shortstop.
Source: Cuban prospect Rusney Castillo to work out at SS & CF in Saturday's showcase. video:
— Jesse Sanchez (@JesseSanchezMLB) July 25, 2014
Several other teams are expected to be joining the Yankees for Castillo's showcase, as has been confirmed by many reports. It seems if the Yanks are really interested in Castillo they will have plenty of competition.
Castillo has joined Jay-Z's Roc Nation Sports and is figured to receive bids shortly after Saturday. That means he could sign sooner rather than later, thus adding yet another Cuban-born player to a growing major league population.
This won't be someone the Yanks heavily pursue with an already crowded outfield picture that may not change for a few seasons. The chance exists that Castillo really wows New York at shortstop and they consider him as a replacement to Derek Jeter, although I wouldn't bet on it.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Alex Rodriguez, Baseball, Chicago White Sox, Cuba, florida, MLB, New York, New York Yankees, rusney castillo, Texas Rangers, university of miami
- New York Yankees “Not Seriously Pursuing” Cuban Outfielder Daniel Carbonell: Report
- New York Yankees Interested in Cuban Outfielder Daniel Carbonell
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Scouted Cliff Lee’s Last Rehab Start; Expected to Scout Monday’s Return to Majors
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ds7