They could be talking about making a second trade, as Jim Bowden of ESPN reported that the Yankees and Padres were talking about a trade that would reunite the Yankees with Ian Kennedy in exchange for prospects Eric Jagielo and Ian Clarkin.
Jon Heyman of WFAN and CBS Sports confirmed the Yankees interest in Kennedy, but they don't want to part with both Clarkin and Jagielo; both of which were draft picks from a year ago and considered two of the better prospects in the Yankees system.
yankees are interested in kennedy but not in clarkin plus jagielo for kennedy.— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) July 25, 2014
The 29-year-old Kennedy was a former Yankee prospect who came up with the team back in 2007, but struggled in 2008 and didn't pitch much for the team due to suffering an aneurysm; which he recovered from and was able to come back to baseball and pitch a game for the Yankees in August of 2009. Kennedy was a part of the three-team deal that sent him to the Arizona Diamondbacks and landed the Yankees Curtis Granderson from the Detroit Tigers.
Since pitching in the National League, Kennedy has established himself as a much more effective pitcher; even winning 21 games for the Diamondbacks a couple of years ago back in 2011. Last year, Kennedy was dealt from Arizona to the Padres at the deadline and could be traded for the second year in a row.
With San Diego, Kennedy is 8-9 with a 3.66 ERA with 143 strikeouts in 135.1 innings in 22 starts this season. Because of season-ending injuries to CC Sabathia and Ivan Nova and a possible Tommy John Surgery likely for Masahiro Tanaka, the Yankees need for pitching is a dire one if they want to contend for the postseason.
If the Yankees were to reunite with Kennedy, they would be getting him not only for this season, but next year as well, as he will be a free agent after 2015 and with Hiroki Kuroda's future uncertain after this season, adding Kennedy back to the rotation would be a decent move to make, especially if he pitches like he has been over the last couple of years since leaving the Yankees.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- MLB Trade Rumors: San Diego Padres’ Ian Kennedy Listed as Trade Candidate for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: Los Angeles Angels Trying to Trade for Padres’ Ian Kennedy; Beat Yankees to Former Pitcher
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Aren’t Strongly Pursuing San Diego Padres 3B Chase Headley
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Strongly Interested in San Diego Padres 3B Chase Headley
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Scouted Ian Kennedy on Wednesday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dr8