On Friday, it was reported that the Philadelphia Phillies would likely not be inclined to trade Cole Hamels and instead, hang onto their 30-year-old ace for the rest of the 2014 season.
The Phillies however, will likely try to trade Cliff Lee once he returns from the disabled list on Monday when he starts for the first time since May against the San Francisco Giants. The Phillies would prefer to trade Lee as opposed to Hamels this month, as Jon Heyman of CBS Sports and WFAN reported.
"The strong belief, based on talks so far with the Phillies, is that the team would much prefer to trade Cliff Lee than Cole Hamels."
Lee has a no-trade clause with 20 teams on the list, the New York Yankees are on the list, but as Heyman reported, Lee is likely to be inclined to waive the no-trade clause if it means he gets to pitch for a contender and another chance at the postseason.
"Both Lee and Hamels have no-trades with at least 20 teams on them, but people around the team suggest Hamels is more likely to invoke his, as he wants to remain in Philly. Lee, like closer Jonathan Papelbon, would likely choosing winning over city, they say."
With CC Sabathia now out for the rest of the season due to needing arthroscopic knee surgery and Masahiro Tanaka potentially headed for Tommy John Surgery, the Yankees need pitching if they want to keep up in the playoff race and keep up with the Baltimore Orioles, who are five games ahead of them and the Toronto Blue Jays, who are just one game ahead of the Yankees, which is why Lee continues to make sense for them.
With Lee set to return and having 10 days to showcase himself, the Yankees likely wouldn't have to deal away top prospects to the Phillies, especially if they absorb the remainder of his $50 million on his deal for 2014 and 2015.
With Lee set to pitch on Monday and come back from his two-month hiatus from the DL, the Yankees eyes will likely be on Philadelphia with possible scouts in attendance watching the 35-year-old lefty to see if they can add him to a rotation that is so thin right now.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Cliff Lee, MLB, New York, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies
- MLB Trade Rumors: Philadelphia Phillies’ Chase Utley Won’t Waive No-Trade Clause; Highly Unlikely Yankees Land Him
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cole Hamels & Cliff Lee Both Listed as Sensible Trade Targets for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: Philadelphia Phillies Aren’t Interested in Trading Cole Hamels; Yankees Could Turn Attention to Cliff Lee
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cliff Lee Expected to Be Heavily Shopped After July Return; Yankees Interest Could Heat Up
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dj8