The Red Sox had been scouting Hamels for a while now and had seen him as a potential replacement for Jon Lester if he leaves as a free agent, while the Yankees could have viewed him as a replacement for CC Sabathia if he's forced to retire after the season due to a knee injury.
However as it turns out, the Philadelphia Phillies are not inclined to trade one of their ace pitchers this summer, as Rob Bradford of WEEI reported on Friday that the Phillies are not looking to deal Hamels to anyone at the trade deadline and will keep their 30-year-old lefty instead despite the strong rumors of teams trying to land him.
"According a major league source, the Phillies are currently showing no inclination to trade Cole Hamels. Hamels has been the subject of rumors involving the Red Sox and Yankees recently, with the Boston Globe suggesting the Red Sox might be viewing the lefty as a top-of-the-rotation replacement for Jon Lester. The 30 year old will be owed $90 million over the next four years, with a team option for 2019 worth $20 million. Hamels has made 16 starts this season, going 3-5 with a 2.93 ERA. He has made at least 31 starts in each of his last six seasons, totaling a 3.30 ERA during that span. The Phillies are currently 10 games out of first-place in the National League East and the wild card race, heading into the second half at 42-53."
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cole Hamels & Cliff Lee Both Listed as Sensible Trade Targets for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox Both in on Phillies’ Cole Hamels
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cole Hamels a Deadline Option for New York Yankees?
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees not on Cole Hamels No-Trade List
- MLB Trade Rumors: Yankees Interest in Cole Hamels About More than 2014 Season
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1di9