Chad Jennings of The LoHud Yankees Blog broke the news on Twitter:
Yankees have signed LHP Rich Hill and assigned him to Triple-A to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre.
— Lohud Yankees Blog (@LoHudYankees) July 17, 2014
Hill will join the Yanks' Triple-A affiliate, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, this week.
The 34-year-old Hill has made just one appearance this season as a member of the Los Angeles Angels and it wasn't good. He allowed three walks and a hit in his outing, and didn't retire a single batter. Hill's numbers in 2013 were even worse as he finished with an ERA north of six out of the bullpen.
The desire for Hill comes from his numbers in 2014 that he compiled in the minors. With Boston, Hill pitched to a 3.23 ERA in 39 innings of relief work.
His best major league season came back in 2007 with the Chicago Cubs as a starter, when he was 11-8 with a 3.92 ERA in 32 starts. Since then, Hill has been back and forth between the bullpen and starting rotation, so he could fill either role should he make it up with the Yankees.
Seeing as how the Yanks already have plenty of bullpen depth and a solid lefty out of the 'pen, Hill's best chance at making the bigs will be as a starter in the Bronx.
Hill may be of help to the Yankees at some point or he could just be another name added to the organization that produces little to nothing this season.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
- New York Yankes Sign Former Boston Red Sox, Oakland A’s Closer Andrew Bailey to Minor League Deal
- Johan Santana to Sign a Minor League Deal with Baltimore Orioles; New York Yankees were Interested
- Milwaukee Brewers Sign New York Yankees 1B Lyle Overbay to Minor-League Deal
- New York Yankees Bring Back Alfredo Aceves; Signed to Minor League Deal
- New York Yankees Sign Heath Bell to Minor League Contract
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dhq