For years, it always seemed like the New York Yankees and Boston Red Sox were competing against each other to make the best deals; whether it be in free agency or at the trade deadline.
Even with the Yankees in third place and the Red Sox in fourth place, they still are apparently competing to try and land the same trade candidates to help their team; as is the case with their reported interests in Philadelphia Phillies lefty Cole Hamels.
According to a story in CBS Philly, both the Yankees and Red Sox are both in on the Phillies lefty and would try to get Hamels before the July 31 trade deadline.
"As the Phillies continue to ponder whether or not to make a deal involving a major piece of the club, rumors are swirling. Cole Hamels is the player that would more than likely yield the greatest return for the Phillies and according to reports, two AL East powers (the Yankees and Red Sox) may be interested in acquiring the Phillies’ ace."
There is a kicker with trying to get Hamels from the Phillies though with both teams. The Red Sox are not in contention and have begun the process of becoming sellers which started with their release of starting catcher A.J. Pierzynski. They've also gotten calls on Mike Napoli, Koji Uehara, Stephen Drew and Will Middlebrooks and could be inclined to deal them to rebuild.
With the Yankees, they can certainly take on the rest of Hamels $103 million owed to him, which Boston can as well. But if the Phillies are looking for top prospects in a return deal for Hamels, that's where the Yankees lack, as they don't have as strong of prospects as Boston possesses or any other team looking into trading for Hamels.
The 30-year-old Hamels is 3-5 with a 2.93 ERA in 16 starts with 106 strikeouts in 107.1 innings and would be a huge addition to a Yankees rotation that has lost 80 percent of their original staff to the disabled list and it's quite possible that at least 60 percent of it may not pitch again in 2014.
The one good thing that the Yankees have in their pocket is the fact that Hamels does not have them listed on his no-trade clause, the goes for Boston as well. But if the Yankees want to land him and find a way to meet the Phillies demands on what they could be looking for to send Hamels out, at least they wouldn't have to worry about Hamels being able to veto a deal.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Current
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Cole Hamels, MLB, New York, New York Yankees, Philadelphia Phillies
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cole Hamels & Cliff Lee Both Listed as Sensible Trade Targets for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cole Hamels a Deadline Option for New York Yankees?
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees not on Cole Hamels No-Trade List
- MLB Trade Rumors: Philadelphia Phillies’ Chase Utley Won’t Waive No-Trade Clause; Highly Unlikely Yankees Land Him
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees May Have to Wait for Phillies’ Cliff Lee Until After July Trade Deadline
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dgg