In 2013, it was Mariano Rivera's farewell at the All Star Game when it was at Citi Field. In 2014, it was Derek Jeter's turn for the farewell from the sport.
Jeter got the loudest ovations of the night when he was introduced in the pre-game player introductions and then got another loud ovation when he came up for his first at-bat of the game and in Derek Jeter fashion, he lead off the game with a double down the right field line against St. Louis Cardinals and National League starting pitcher Adam Wainwright. Mike Trout later hit an RBI triple to score Jeter and made it 1-0 for the American League.
In the bottom of the third inning facing off against Cincinnati Reds pitcher Alfredo Simon, Jeter got his second hit of the night with a single to right field; the single in the third inning would be his final at-bat of the game. For his career as an All Star, Jeter leaves going 13-for-27, which is good enough for a .481 average. Jeter also became the oldest player ever at 40 years old in baseball history and All Star Game history to record two hits in a game.
Before the fourth inning started, American League and Boston Red Sox manager John Farrell took Jeter out of the game and was replaced by Chicago White Sox shortstop Alexi Ramirez, which then lead to Jeter getting a thunderous ovation from the crowd at Target Field.
The American League was able to take the lead in the bottom of the fifth on an RBI double from Mike Trout that gave the A.L. team a 4-3 lead and Jose Altuve's RBI groundout made it 5-3, which is where it stayed. Minnesota Twins closer Glen Perkins got the save in front of the home crowd.
Mike Trout was named the 2014 All Star Game MVP Award; an award Jeter won back in the 2000 All Star Game 14 years ago.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Seeing your team play in the SuperBowl is priceless. Watching the SuperBowl live in the stands for $1 per week is beyond priceless. Find out how at TicketScore.com, the future of Championship Tickets.
Tags: Baseball, Derek Jeter, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- New York Yankees’ Derek Jeter to Lead Off for American League Team in 2014 All Star Game
- New York Yankees Derek Jeter Tops One Million Votes; Leads American League Shortstops in All-Star Balloting
- Every Derek Jeter Highlight from 2014 MLB All-Star Game
- Derek Jeter Asked Ridiculous Question at 2014 MLB All-Star Game Media Day
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dfe