A few weeks ago, the Rockies shortstop said he wouldn't mind getting one to play for a contender and since the Rockies aren't contending anytime soon, now would be an ideal time, although Colorado hasn't seemed too keen on moving their All Star shortstop.
It's also been no secret either that Tulowitzki's idol growing up was New York Yankees shortstop Derek Jeter, who is retiring at the end of the 2014 season and playing in his final All Star Game himself on Tuesday at Target Field. With the Yankees in need of a shortstop after 2014, Tulowitzki's name continues to come up as a possibility if the Yankees can swing a trade for him.
On Monday during the All Star festivities and before Tulowitzki took part in the 2014 Home Run Derby, the Rockies shortstop said taking over for Jeter would be the perfect story for his career.
"It would be a perfect story," Tulowitzki said. "I think everybody knows that," said Tulowitzki, who wears No. 2 because of Jeter, "everybody wants that perfect story. Whoever it may be, if he took over for Derek, no doubt it makes for a great story. But for right now it's just talk until anything gets closer to happening in the offseason, I think I could comment on that further. But it's one of those things right now, I'm just worried about the second half of the season."
The Yankees don't have a shortstop in waiting in the minor leagues, so the Yankees making a trade for Tulowitzki would make absolute sense, but it's the fact of if they actually have the prospects necessary to land Tulowitzki from the Rockies. The one thing that they would be able to offer the Rockies would be the chance to take Tulowitzki's $130 million until the 2020 season off their hands.
While the Yankees could certainly use a trade for someone like Tulowitzki and the offense he brings; hitting .345 with 21 home runs and 52 RBI in the first half for Colorado, this is the kind of trade that would be better suited to happen after the season and after Jeter has officially retired from the Yankees with the shortstop position vacant, whereas right now at the trade deadline, Jeter is healthy and still playing shortstop on a regular basis for the team.
Even if Colorado doens't trade Tulowitzki before the July 31 trade deadline like he hinted that he would be alright with, this trade speculation on Tulowitzki wanting to play for the Yankees could really pick up after the season is over and after Jeter has called it a career.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Colorado Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki Addresses Rumors of Replacing Derek Jeter for New York Yankees in 2015
- MLB Trade Rumors: Colorado Rockies’ Troy Tulowitzki Hinting at Wanting Trade to Contender; Could Yankees Look to Inquire?
- Colorado Rockies SS Troy Tulowitzki Could Be Summer Trade Option for New York Yankees in 2014
- Yankees Rumors: J.J. Hardy a ‘Perfect Replacement’ for Derek Jeter in 2015?
- Toronto Blue Jays SS Jose Reyes Shoots Down Rumors That He Will Replace His Idol: New York Yankee Derek Jeter
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1de8