While Joba Chamberlain was with the New York Yankees he wasn't allowed to grow a beard because of the team's policy about facial hair—but now that he's pitching with the Detroit Tigers, razors be damned.
You see that picture above? That's what Chamberlain looked like when he was a reliever with New York.
Now look at him as a reliever in Detroit:
Joba finally looks like a guy named Joba pic.twitter.com/HEzvr7Bs6n
— Cespedes Family BBQ (@CespedesBBQ) July 13, 2014
Whoa. Clearly somebody took his ability to grow a beard too far.
Even Brian Wilson of the Los Angeles Dodgers might blush at that one, or at the very least he would be impressed. Still, Joba has a long way to go to be on Wilson's level. That kind of dedication won't be easy.
— DodgersBeat (@DodgersBeat) August 7, 2013
Chamberlain started growing the beard at the conclusion of the 2013 season, which was his last with the Yankees. He started his career off great in pinstripes, but it was all downhill after that.
The 28-year-old has since rebounded and is having a nice season in Detroit. Chamberlain has picked up two saves in 2014 and is pitching to a 2.63 ERA, his lowest since 2007.
It's all in the beard, of course.
- New York Yankees: Watch Derek Jeter Check Out Robinson Cano’s Beard
- Former New York Yankees Catcher Rick Cerone: Robinson Cano is a Fool for Leaving Yankees for Seattle Mariners
- New York Yankees Acquire Veteran Reliever David Huff from San Francisco Giants
- New York Yankees Have Struck Gold in Emergence of Power-Armed Relievers with Dellin Betances, Adam Warren
- New York Yankes Sign Former Boston Red Sox, Oakland A’s Closer Andrew Bailey to Minor League Deal
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1dbt