Following the blockbuster trade last week that sent Jeff Samardzija and Jason Hammel from the Chicago Cubs to the Oakland A's, the Cubs now have a bit of a surplus at shortstop, especially after acquiring Addison Russel from Oakland.
The Cubs already have an MLB proven shortstop with Starlin Castro, whose name has been appearing in rumors over the last couple of days ever since the trade with Oakland and Chicago. The New York Mets have been one team that has inquired on Castro, but to no avail. The Yankees apparently are the second team to ask on the Cubs shortstops as well.
Joel Sherman of the New York Post reported this past week that the Yankees have asked the Cubs about Javier Baez, Arismendy Alcantara, and Starlin Castro, as they continue to look for their next shortstop of the future.
It makes sense for the Yankees to start to look now for a shortstop since Derek Jeter will be retiring at the end of the season and the team has no clear heir in the minor leagues that would be ready to take the spot.
However, as Sherman reported, it looks like the Cubs won't be trading their surplus of shortstops for the time being. Of course that could always change between now and July 31, especially if someone makes a whopping offer to Jed Hoyer and Theo Epstein, but do the Yankees really value those guys that much that they would unload good prospects to get one of those three?
Considering they have other needs right now and Jeter is still playing for the next three months, chances are, the Yankees won't be overpaying for those players. However, if it were for someone like Troy Tulowitzki of the Colorado Rockies, then that might be a completely different story altogether.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- MLB Trade Rumors: Chicago Cubs Listening to Offers for Jeff Samardzija, Jason Hammel; New York Yankees in Play
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cubs Considering Signing Jeff Samardzija to Extension; Would Severely Alter Yankees Trade Plans
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cubs’ Jeff Samardzija, Rays’ David Price Likely Out of New York Yankees Range: Report
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cv9