The New York Yankees already made one trade this month for a starting pitcher, as they acquired Brandon McCarthy from the Arizona Diamondbacks in exchange for Vidal Nuno.
However, even with that trade, the Yankees are far from done dealing before the July 31 trade deadline, as it is highly expected that the Yankees will make another trade for a top-end starter and the most talked about name continues to be Cliff Lee of the Philadelphia Phillies.
Lee is expected to return from the disabled list shortly after the All Star break next week; a July 19 date has been projected and the Phillies are expected to heavily shop Lee and the Yankees are the team most looked at.
With the Phillies looking to dump the rest of his salary, plus the fact that Lee is coming off the DL and won't have much time to pitch before the July 31 deadline, Brendan Kuty of the Newark-Star Ledger wrote on how the Yankees could be in prime position to acquire Lee and not have them cost them so much as far as prospects go.
"The Yankees already appear among those best-positioned to deal for Lee if they're willing to pay all or most of the $50 million he's due through 2015. That type of money might scare away other potential bidders. The possibility that Philadelphia would want to push hard to dump the 35-year-old lefty, who's 3-3 with a 3.18 ERA, could help the Yankees in a couple of ways. The amount of money left on Lee's deal already might aid general manager Brian Cashman's negotiations in that he could try to present the Phillies with a lesser prospect package. Ditto for if the Phillies want to get him off the roster sooner than later. The Yankees and other clubs might feel they're taking additional risk in trading for an ace so soon after he makes a comeback. That added risk could also help drive down Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr.' asking price for Lee."
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees May Have to Wait for Phillies’ Cliff Lee Until After July Trade Deadline
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cliff Lee Expected to Be Heavily Shopped After July Return; Yankees Interest Could Heat Up
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cliff Lee Still Listed as Top New York Yankees Trade Target While on DL
- MLB Trade Rumors: Phillies’ Cole Hamels & Cliff Lee Both Listed as Sensible Trade Targets for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Listed as Best Landing Spot for Phillies’ Cliff Lee
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cu9