According to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, the Yanks made an attempt to land either of the two arms, however the Athletics simply had something the Yanks couldn't match:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 5, 2014
Addison Russell is one of the top prospects in baseball today. Ranked No. 14 by Baseball America, Russell was the key piece that apparently put the Athletics over the top in dealing for Samardzija and Hammel.
While the Yanks have some nice prospects in their system, none can match the hype around the young shortstop.
This isn't exactly good news. After all, the Yanks were unable to acquire the pitching they needed because they didn't have enough (or as much as an opponent) in minor leaguers, thus New York will clearly have a problem on its hands when going up against teams with better farm systems that are going for the same player.
The good news in all of this is that the Yanks were actively trying to make a deal, which makes general manager Brian Cashman look more credible when he says the team is "ready to rock-and-roll" in the trade market.
But just how much the Yanks are ready to rock remains a mystery.
Could there have been another piece the Yanks were asked to part ways with for Samardzija or Hammel and couldn't? Is Cashman holding back one of his more valuable young prospects and refusing to let go even though it may mean an impact starting pitcher in return?
We may never know, but it's obvious the Yanks didn't have enough in their package to wrestle Samardzija or Hammel away from Oakland. Until he lands that big pitcher, Cashman looks more like he's ready for classical music than rock-and-roll.
- New York Yankees Should Trade for Oakland Athletics SP Tommy Milone
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Could Be Potential Suitor for Oakland A’s Jim Johnson
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cubs Considering Signing Jeff Samardzija to Extension; Would Severely Alter Yankees Trade Plans
- MLB Trade Rumors: San Diego Padres’ Ian Kennedy Listed as Trade Candidate for New York Yankees
- MLB Rumors: Jeff Samardzija Rejects Cubs Extension; Still Yankees Trade Option
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1crh