Pitching against the New York Yankees, Price went seven innings, allowing just one run and struck out nine and picked up the win in a 2-1 victory for the Rays. Price is considered to be the best left-handed starter on the market and many around baseball expect him to be dealt before July 31.
While the chances of the Rays dealing their ace within the division are slim to none and dealing their former Cy Young winner to the Yankees is even slimmer, Price would in fact accept a deal to the Yankees and told Dan Martin of the New York Post that he could see himself playing for the Yankees if they were able to acquire him this month.
“It is a reality, a possibility,” Price told The Post after speaking about the likelihood of finally being traded from the perennially cash-strapped Rays. “I’d have no problem fitting in, I never have. It could happen.”
Now, Price's first choice is to remain with the Rays, which is where he has pitched his entire career going back to the 2008 season, but he knows that baseball is a business and some things are out of his hands. On the plus side, Price knows that the Yankees are always in contention for the postseason and would accept a trade to the Bronx because of the tradition of winning.
“There’s a lot more emphasis on winning,” Price said on Monday. “You’ve got to be able to accept that challenge. It probably pushes you to be better.”
Adding another ace like Price would almost certainly make the Yankees a much more competitive team in 2014 despite the lack of offensive support in recent time. The 28-year-old lefty is 7-7 with a 3.50 ERA and has 153 strikeouts in 131 innings; his nine strikeouts against the Yankees on Tuesday night snapped a five-game streak that Price had going of 10 or more strikeouts in a game.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Listed as Potential Trade Suitor for Tampa Bay Rays’ David Price
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cubs’ Jeff Samardzija, Rays’ David Price Likely Out of New York Yankees Range: Report
- MLB Trade Rumors: David Price Scouted by New York Yankees, Others
- MLB Trade Rumors: Yankees Chances of Landing David Price are Terrible
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees to Target Cliff Lee at Deadline
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cnt