The New York Yankees are starting to finally look at other areas of need aside from their starting rotation and may look to add to their struggling offense.
With Kelly Johnson struggling for the entire season and Yangervis Solarte finally crashing back down to earth after his hot start, the Yankees are looking to upgrade their infield and have a target in mind; one that they've had their eyes on for several years now.
Jon Morosi and Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports reported on Monday night that the Yankees are strongly interested in San Diego Padres third basemen Chase Headley and have been scouting the 30-year-old in his recent games.
Headley is currently hitting .204 with six home runs and 23 RBI in just 61 games; numbers that do not reflect how good Headley is and it's quite possible with Headley struggling this season, the Yankees could have a chance to buy low on him with hope that he turns it around if they trade for him.
Back in the 2011 trade deadline, the Yankees inquired on Headley when Alex Rodriguez went down with a knee injury for two months, but the Padres turned them down; the Yankees inquired again at the 2012 trade deadline as well when A-Rod was dealing with a broken hand, but again, the Padres still said no.
With Headley set to hit free agency after the year and both sides have failed to reach an agreement on a contract extension, it makes sense that San Diego would look to deal Headley and get what they can for him before he hits the open market and then getting nothing for him.
Two years ago, Headley was one of the best players in the sport, as he hit .286 with 31 home runs and 115 RBI and finished fifth in the National League MVP voting, plus won a Gold Glove and a Silver Slugger.
Even with A-Rod coming back next season, it would make a lot of sense for the Yankees to look into trading for Headley to give them another corner infielder and a legit starting option at third base; plus a backup option at first base too. If the Yankees desire to, they could move A-Rod to the designated hitter role for next year and re-sign Headley long-term once the season is over and he could take over as the long-term third basemen in 2015.
After years of missing out on Headley, this could be the year where it finally makes the most sense and the stars line up for the Yankees to trade for Headley.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- MLB Trade Rumors: San Diego Padres’ Ian Kennedy Listed as Trade Candidate for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: Philadelphia Phillies’ Chase Utley Won’t Waive No-Trade Clause; Highly Unlikely Yankees Land Him
- MLB Trade Rumors: Yankees Interested in Phillies’ John Mayberry Jr.
- Yankees Director of Scouting Damon Oppenheimer a Potential Candidate for San Diego Padres GM Vacancy
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cll