In 2.1 innings of action, the first action he's seen since pitching against the Milwaukee Brewers back on May 10, he allowed two runs, walked one and struck out two while throwing 37 pitches and had his fastball top out around 87-89 miles per hour.
Sabathia felt good after the game and admitted that he still needs to shake off the rust after not pitching for well over a month, but is glad to be back on the mound again.
"I felt really good," Sabathia said. "I didn't know what to expect. Obviously I want to be healthy and not have any problems, and got that accomplished. Definitely need to work on my secondary pitches," said Sabathia, whose fastball was consistently in the 87-89 mph range. "I couldn't be happier with the way I felt physically out there. It feels good to be back out there competing. Hopefully I can get back in the big leagues pretty quick."
The next course of action for the Yankees as far as Sabathia goes is a potential start in New Jersey; as the team is strongly mulling moving Sabathia up to Class-AA and having him pitch for the Trenton Thunder, as Dan Martin of the New York Post reported on Monday, who are home for a four-game series against the Portland Sea Dogs.
The current plan is for Sabathia to make three-four rehab starts in the minors before getting called back up for the Yankees and activated off the disabled list. Sabathia was 3-4 with a 5.26 ERA before landing on the 15-day DL with a degenerative knee condition.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees: CC Sabathia to Make 1st Rehab Start on Saturday
- Yankees Injury Updates: CC Sabathia’s 1st Rehab Start Line and Michael Pineda
- New York Yankees: CC Sabathia Takes Next Step in Rehab; Throws Off Mound for 1st Time Since Knee Injury
- New York Yankees CC Sabathia to Face Live Hitters on Tuesday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ckt