With the New York Yankees well within striking distance in AL East, there has been a lot of talk of potential trade targets. ESPN reporter Buster Olney has stated that sources guarantee that the Yankees will acquire a starting pitcher by the July 31st trade deadline. With many names being mentioned, the Yankees are also looking to attain a player to help their struggling infield. There is speculation that the New York Mets have been entertaining offers for second baseman, Daniel Murphy.
The Giants and Blue Jays have been rumored to have been in discussion with the Mets about obtaining Murphy. The Yankees are reportedly looking for a third baseman and or second baseman, with Jimmy Rollins, Ben Zobrist and Chase Utley among those being mentioned. Murphy would bring his solid bat to a Yankees team that is lacking offense in their infield. Murphy 29, is a career .290 hitter and has played for the Mets since his MLB debut in 2008.
Murphy is currently hitting .291 and has an OBP of .355 and is a more attractive option than Zobrist or Utley. Although the Yankees may prefer Murphy, Zobrist boasts more flexibility, as he can play second, short and outfield. If the Yankees move towards Murphy, the question will be, do they have the pieces to acquire him?
Minor leaguers Gary Sanchez and J.R. Murphy would most likely be off the table. That would leave Manny Banuelos who is on the road back from Tommy John Surgery. Banuelos, 23, has pitched 35 1/3 innings, between A and AA this season, for a respectable 3.34 ERA.
Even though Banuelos has had control problems throughout his career, he has solid upside and is Major League ready. Considering the lack of pitching depth for the Yankees in their minor league system, Banuelos would most likely be the best arm available in a deal for Murphy.
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees’ John Ryan Murphy a Hot Commodity
- MLB Trade Rumors: Philadelphia Phillies’ Chase Utley Won’t Waive No-Trade Clause; Highly Unlikely Yankees Land Him
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cincinnati Reds’ Mat Latos a Possible Trade Interest for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: San Diego Padres’ Ian Kennedy Listed as Trade Candidate for New York Yankees
- MLB Trade Rumors: Why the New York Yankees Should Look into Trade for Kansas City Royals SP James Shields
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ckb