Then came up notorious Yankee killer of late Mike Napoli, who had already struck out twice in the game against Tanaka. But in the 9th inning, Napoli didn't miss this time.
He got a fastball that was up and he connected on it, sending it the opposite way to the right field seats for a go-ahead home run that put the Red Sox up 2-1, a lead that would stick as Koji Uehara closed out the game in the bottom of the ninth inning and tied the series at 1-1.
However, the home run has become the after-thought because of what Napoli said after he got to home plate. FOX, who was covering the game on Saturday night, caught Napoli mouthing the words, "what an idiot" towards Tanaka for giving him a pitch to hit. The video of Napoli calling Tanaka an idiot was caught on someone's Vine account and can be seen here. Ken Rosenthanal of FOX Sports caught up to Napoli and asked him about the comment in which, Napoli didn't deny it.
"Nothing toward him," Napoli said, according to Rosenthal. "I thought he was going to throw me a split in the dirt. He had been getting me out all night on it."
Just more fuel to the fire that is the Yankees-Red Sox historical rivalry. Tanaka took the loss and went to 11-3 on the season, although he did fire his third complete game of the season. The Yankees will look to win the series on Sunday night behind the arm of rookie Chase Whitley.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Masahiro Tanaka Dominant Again; New York Yankees Power Past Boston Red Sox 9-3
- New York Yankees’ Masahiro Tanaka Looking Forward to First Ever Showdown Vs. Boston Red Sox on Tuesday
- Masahiro Tanaka Already Proving He’s Worth Big Contract for New York Yankees
- New York Yankees’ Masahiro Tanaka to Make Yankee Stadium Debut on Wednesday Vs. Baltimore Orioles
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cjp