But after Friday night's start; a 6-0 win over the Boston Red Sox, Nuno's spot is safe for at least another start while CC Sabathia recovers from a knee injury and the team explores the trade market.
Nuno turned in one of his best starts in months; allowing no runs on two hits over 5.2 innings and striking out five and picked up his second win of the season; his first going all the way back to May 7 against the Los Angeles Angels; he was 0-4 in eight starts until ending the losing streak on Friday night.
Nuno kept the Boston hitters guessing all night and didn't allow a big fly to anyone; something many predicted would happen with bats like Mike Napoli (an infamous Yankees killer) in the lineup, but it was Nuno who shut the Red Sox down. What did he do different from his other starts in which he struggled terribly? He didn't try to overpower batters with his fastball, stopped over-striding and trusted his stuff more, as he told Brendan Kuty of the Newark-Star Ledger after the win.
"When I do that the ball gets elevated and the cutters weren't spinning as I want them to be," he said. "It was loopy and stuff like that. It was just a work in progress."
Whether Nuno will put together a couple of good starts or not remains to be seen, but for the time being, the "remove Vidal Nuno from the rotation" talks are on hold for at least another start.
Once the Yankees do get Sabathia back from the disabled list next month, he is expected to take Nuno's spot in the rotation, so for the time being, Yankees manager Joe Girardi will continue to give Nuno the ball every five games and hope he can turn in performance like that one against the Red Sox every five games.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees Vidal Nuno Shows He Belongs; Shuts Down LA Angels for First Win of Season
- New York Yankees: Vidal Nuno Should Be Designated for Assignment After Sunday’s Loss to Oakand A’s
- New York Yankees: Vidal Nuno Should Be Removed from Rotation If Falters Vs. Oakland A’s
- Alfredo Aceves Should Get Next Shot in New York Yankees Rotation If Vidal Nuno Can’t Deliver Vs. Angels
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cig