Four years later, now a member of the Philadelphia Phillies, Lee's name has been heavily tied to the Yankees again and with their need for a starting pitcher, it's making more and more sense for them to land the lefty. Given the recent news of Michael Pineda's latest setback in his road to recovery from a back injury he initially suffered in May, plus the recent struggles of Vidal Nuno in the rotation, the Yankees have a dire need for pitching.
Mark Feinsand of the New York Daily News wrote on how Lee makes the most sense for the Yankees and why they should make the deal for the Phillies left-handed ace before the deadline.
"That leaves Lee, who has been an object of the Yankees’ affection on more than one occasion and figures to be at some point again in the not-too-distant future if he can show his elbow is healthy. For the sake of this argument, let’s assume Sabathia comes back and gives the Yankees a solid middle-of-the-rotation arm. Is there still a need for another pitcher such as Lee? Absolutely."
"Whitley has been a savior for the Yankees and their injury-ravaged rotation, going 3-0 with a 2.56 ERA in seven starts. But Whitley, a career reliever who had made nine starts during his first four years in the minors, has never thrown more than 91 innings in a season. Most organizations don’t like to extend a pitcher’s innings total more than 30 or so from their career-high from one year to the next, meaning Whitley can probably throw 120-130 innings this season. He’s already at 65. If he doubles that over his next seven outings, he’ll be at that number by the third week of July. Just about the time the Phillies could be ready to move Lee."
- MLB Trade Rumors: Cliff Lee Still Listed as Top New York Yankees Trade Target While on DL
- Philadelphia Phillies’ Cliff Lee Landing on DL with Elbow Injury Puts Potential Damper in Yankees Trade Plans
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees May Have to Wait for Phillies’ Cliff Lee Until After July Trade Deadline
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Listed as Potential Trade Suitor for Tampa Bay Rays’ David Price
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees to Target Cliff Lee at Deadline
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1cao