According to Ken Davidoff of The New York Post, the Yanks GM sounded pretty sure the Yankees would be active at the trade deadline:
— Ken Davidoff (@KenDavidoff) June 19, 2014
Now, what exactly those trades will be remains to be seen. The Yankees are normally pretty good at keeping things close to the vest and often surprise their fans with deals nobody saw coming—sometimes good, sometimes bad.
What's most apparent about the Yankees in 2014 is their need for starting pitching. While 60 percent of the starting rotation is on the shelf and uncertain to return (or definite not to return in Ivan Nova's case), what the Yanks are walking out to the mound on most days simply won't cut it.
As of now, Masahiro Tanaka and Chase Whitley of all people are the best two starters in New York's rotation, with Hiroki Kuroda pulling up the rear as a sometimes effective, but mostly inconsistent arm.
CC Sabathia and Michael Pineda could return this season, although both are wild cards at best in their respective roads to recovery.
Among other moves the Yanks may need to make is picking up another bat to help their flailing offense. Granted, that kind of move isn't as dire at the moment, but it's still an addition the Yanks could use for the stretch run of the season.
As for the bullpen: New York has next to nothing to worry about there.
Hal Steinbrenner has made it clear he would spend if need be to add pieces to help the Yankees at the deadline and Cashman's assurance that the Yanks will make a move or two gives hope that this roster will get better as July and August approach.
Until then, the Yanks will have to wait it out and stick with what they have in-house while the trade market continues to form closer to the deadline.
- MLB Trade Rumors: GMs Say Yankees Have Pieces to Make 1 or 2 Big Deals
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees Listed as Potential Trade Suitor for Tampa Bay Rays’ David Price
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees ‘in Picture’ for Jeff Samardzija
- MLB Trade Rumors: New York Yankees May Have to Wait for Phillies’ Cliff Lee Until After July Trade Deadline
- MLB Trade Rumors: David Phelps, Vidal Nuno’s Ineffectiveness Will Force New York Yankees to Trade for Starter
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c72