On Tuesday night, the New York Yankees inched a little closer in the American League East chase with a 3-1 victory over the first place Toronto Blue Jays behind another Masahiro Tanaka victory and is now 11-1.
With that win, the 36th of the 2014 season, it was a milestone for Yankees manager Joe Girardi, as the win on Tuesday night was his 600th win with the team. For his career, it was his 678th of his career.
On the all-time list for wins as Yankees managers, Girardi is sixth all time with the 600th win. Joe McCarthy (1,460), Joe Torre (1,173), Casey Stengel (1,149), Miller Huggins (1,067) and Ralph Houk (944) are all ahead of Girardi.
Girardi has been the manager since the 2008 season when he took over for Torre, whose contract was not renewed and left to manage the Los Angeles Dodgers. In each of his first six seasons, Girardi has not had a losing record, which is why he's reached 600 wins in his managing career with the team.
Before managing with the Yankees, Girardi also managed with the Florida Marlins, went 78-84 and won the 2006 National League Manager of the Year before he was fired due to not getting along with owner Jeffrey Loria. Before taking the job with the Yankees, Girardi turned down a chance to manage the Baltimore Orioles.
Despite missing the playoffs for the second year in his tenure last year, Girardi was re-signed to a four-year deal this past winter.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Masahiro Tanaka Earns 1st Ever MLB Victory in Debut for New York Yankees; Defeat Toronto Blue Jays 7-3
- New York Yankees Honor Tony Gwynn Before Tuesday Night’s Game Vs. Toronto Blue Jays
- Toronto Blue Jays Starters R.A. Dickey, Mark Buehrle Listed as Potential Trade Options for New York Yankees
- Toronto Blue Jays SS Jose Reyes Shoots Down Rumors That He Will Replace His Idol: New York Yankee Derek Jeter
- New York Yankees Manager Joe Girardi to Announce the 5th Starter on Tuesday; Michael Pineda, David Phelps the Favorites
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c62