With the emergence of John Ryan Murphy as a solid backup catcher for the New York Yankees, Francisco Cervelli seems to be a logical choice to be trade bait at the 2014 MLB trade deadline, but one Yankees analyst doesn't think so.
YES Network's Jack Curry got a question on Twitter asking if he thought Cervelli would be a chip in the Yanks' quest for starting pitching. His answer was pretty clear:
— Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) June 14, 2014
Cervelli has just returned from a 60-day disabled list stint that was the result of a strained hamstring. While he was gone, Murphy took his place and did a solid job in the reserve role.
Not only did he help handle a bandaged pitching staff that was ravaged by injuries, he also produced offensively with a .310 batting average and one homer with eight RBI. On a team looking for youth, the 23-year-old seemed like a necessary addition to the Yankees.
Experience would be the only thing Cervelli has over Murphy right now.
The Venezuelan hit to a putrid .188 average during his short time on the field this year as injuries, which are as big a problem as his issues at the plate, crept up on him again in what is now a long list of ailments for the 28-year-old.
Not to mention his run-in with a suspension from the MLB for his involvement in the Biogenesis scandal in 2013.
Even if the Yanks wanted to deal Cervelli, it's doubtful he has enough positive things going for him right now to have any real value. New York may not have a choice in the matter.
It can also be argued that Murphy, who could be demoted to Triple-A upon Cervelli's return, has far more value at the trade deadline with his stellar and more recent play in 2014.
If the Yanks do find a starter they're able to trade for, expect Murphy to be moved before Cervelli.
- New York Yankees C Francisco Cervelli Drawing ‘Lots of Trade Interest’; Could Be Dealt During Spring: Report
- Francisco Cervelli Wins Yankees Backup Catcher Job in 2014; Beats Out Austin Romine, John Ryan Murphy
- New York Yankees Likely to Place Francisco Cervelli on 15-Day DL with Hamstring Injury
- Yankees Injury Updates: Carlos Beltran, Francisco Cervelli Play in Rehab Games
- New York Yankees Place Francisco Cervelli on 60-Day DL, Recall John Ryan Murphy, Sign Scott Sizemore to Major League Deal
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c1n