While the New York Yankees continue to climb back in the American League East division race, one of their top pitchers continues his road to recovery and hopes of returning to the team next month.
CC Sabathia has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 11 with right knee inflammation which then was diagnoses with a degenerative knee condition which required cortisone shots and stem cell treatment, which required at least six weeks of treatment and rehab for the full process to work and repair the damage in the knee.
Sabathia is slowly progressing towards his projected July return time frame and has begun to play catch on flat surfaces. Yankees manager Joe Girardi told the media on Thursday that the 33-year-old's next step will be to throw off a mound to see how the knee is feeling.
"CC's been playing catch," the manager said. "He did a little bit of flat ground yesterday and hopefully when we get home next week I can possibly get him on a mound."
Sabathia struggled before landing on the DL; 3-4 record with a 5.26 ERA and was ineffective in his last two starts before reporting the pain in his knee; which is why he bad in the starts against the Tampa Bay Rays and Milwaukee Brewers. His last start against Milwaukee, Sabathia gave up four runs in 5.1 innings.
Getting a healthy and effective Sabathia back for the team's second half run would be a major jolt to a rotation that is holding on by patchwork given the injuries in the first couple months of the season.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents, cc
- New York Yankees’ CC Sabathia Out Until at Least July with Degenerative Knee Injury
- New York Yankees SP CC Sabathia Could Need Surgery This Season on Degenerative Knee
- New York Yankees CC Sabathia Has ‘Degenerative Changes’ in Knee; No Timetable for Return
- New York Yankees’ CC Sabathia to Test Right Knee by Throwing; Sought Out Advice from Knicks’ Amar’e Stoudemire
- New York Yankees SP CC Sabathia Getting Stem Cell Treatment for Degenerative Knee
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1c00