For years, Franz had seats out in right field, where Ichiro manned out in Safeco Field and kept track of the Japanese superstar's hit totals with a sign that she would update with each Ichiro hit, which is known as "the Ichimeter." The one where Ichiro broke the record for the most hits in a single season is currently at Cooperstown in the National Baseball Hall of Fame.
Franz's current Ichimeter, which can be seen with an autograph from Suzuki on it, keeps track of the Yankees current hit total for the 2014 season. This week, Franz was able to see her favorite player play again at Safeco Field and on Wednesday, which happened to be Franz's birthday, Suzuki decided to surprise one of his biggest and most loyal fans with a present she'll never forget.
Amy Franz (@ichimeterlady) June 12, 2014
During the game on Wednesday in which the Yankees won 4-2, YES Network's Meredith Marakovits went over to right field and interviewed Franz and talked about her love and passion for the Mariners, as well as how she passionately still follows and tracks Ichiro's hit totals. Considering Ichiro took the time to personally autograph a baseball along with a happy birthday message on it, it shows that Suzuki truly appreciates everything Franz has done.
In Marakovits interview with Franz, she talked about how she was devastated when Ichiro was traded from the Mariners to the Yankees in the summer of 2012, ending a tenure with Ichiro and the Mariners that lasted 11 years.
During the game, Ichiro collected a hit in the game, in which YES showed Franz updating her Ichimeter sign to 34, which is how many hits he has for the season. If Ichiro continues to play past the 2014 season, the next meter she may be doing is the one for his 3,000th MLB hit; he currently has 2,776 in his 13 seasons.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Ichiro Suzuki Makes Spectacular Catch in New York Yankees 3-2 Win Over Seattle Mariners (Video)
- New York Yankees: Derek Jeter’s Latest Gift from Seattle Mariners
- New York Yankees Ichiro Suzuki Solid in Start at Fenway Park
- New York Yankees’ Ichiro Suzuki Looking to Play ‘Many More Seasons’ After 2014
- In the Shadows: New York Yankee Outfielder Ichiro Suzuki Quietly Closes in on 3,000 Hits
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1byz