Carlos Beltran will throw the ball today as he continues to fight a bone spur in his right elbow. The injury has prevented Beltran from making a return to the Yankees outfield. Beltran has been delegated to a DH role since returning from the DL last week.
The fact that Beltran will "toss a ball" around today, is quite favorable news. The initial outlook on Beltran's injured elbow was quite bleak. With surgery almost a given, the Yankees were looking at life without their Free Agent outfielder until possibly as late as September. The most recent news on Beltran has been very positive as he continues to avoid surgery. Beltran spoke with Brendan Kuty of NJ.com about his injury:
"It's there. I still feel a little pain. But it's something — I have to deal with it. So, right now, I'm not really thinking about it. I'm just trying to not focus on that and focus on what's important and just find my stroke and be able to be out there in the lineup."
Beltran who will make some throws today, has not thrown since the injury occurred during the Subway Series against the Mets back on May 12. Beltran will wear a brace today so that he doesn't over extend the elbow. It is not clear if Beltran will have to wear the brace if and when he returns to the outfield. The Yankees are not pushing Beltran and feel that it is up to him to make a defensive return when he fells he is ready to.
These are all positive signs for Beltran, who stated that the pain is still there but it is not as bad as it was when the injury first occurred. Beltran had two cortisone injections while he was on the DL and he has noticed a big improvement since. Another positive step for Beltran was the fact that he was bale to take early batting practice on Tuesday before the Yankees 3-2 win over the Mariners in Seattle.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees’ Carlos Beltran to Test Injured Elbow on Monday; Would Be Sidelined 8-10 Weeks If Surgery is Needed
- New York Yankees Carlos Beltran Tests Injured Elbow; Swings Bat and Feels No Discomfort
- New York Yankees’ Carlos Beltran Felt Good in 2nd Round of Swinging Bat on Tuesday to Test Elbow
- New York Yankees’ Carlos Beltran to Visit Dr. James Andrews Regarding Elbow Injury
- New York Yankees’ Carlos Beltran Has Slight Crack in Right Elbow; Unsure If Changes Rehab Plan
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bxp