When Carlos Beltran hurt his elbow on May 12, the diagnosis was not good. Beltran was examined and it was found that he had a bone spur that would most likely require surgery. Beltran bucked the odds and made an unexpected return to game action earlier this week.
With initial reports having Beltran out until late August, Beltran has been able to DH and avoid surgery on his right elbow. The Yankees who are in need of Beltran's bat are happy to have him back. The first year Yankee, who doubled with an RBI on Saturday night against the Royals, has yet play the field since his return. Beltran who's injury is in his throwing arm, has not attempted to throw since being cleared to play.
Beltran who is 1-11 in three games as a DH is not rushing a return to the field. "I don't have a date for you on that," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi. "We're trying to see how this goes to start out and that at some point we'll probably get to where we'll try it. But we have not put a date on that yet."
The Yankees are comfortable with having Beltran DH for now. They are being very cautious with Beltran and will consult with his doctors before having him throw. Also, the Yanks want Beltran to tell them when he is ready to resume throwing. " Obviously, you have to have the player feel comfortable doing it," Girardi said.
While Beltran occupies the DH spot, the Yankees are using a combination of Ichiro Suzuki and Alfonso Soriano in right field. Suzuki has been splitting time with Soriano as Ichiro has been starting mainly against righties. Soriano who is a defensive liability has experience in left, but before this season, had never played a game in right field.
Tags: Baseball, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- New York Yankees: Carlos Beltran Rehab Done, Set to Return in Next Few Days
- New York Yankees Carlos Beltran Avoids Serious Injury; Hopes to Return for Saturday’s Matchup Against Tampa Rays
- New York Yankees Carlos Beltran Tests Injured Elbow; Swings Bat and Feels No Discomfort
- New York Yankees’ Carlos Beltran to Visit Dr. James Andrews Regarding Elbow Injury
- New York Yankees Place Carlos Beltran on 15-Day Disabled List with Elbow Injury
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1btp