Pineda has been on the disabled list since May 6 after suffering a Grade 1 strain in the back while taking part in a simulated game while serving a 10-game suspension for his use of pine tar in a game in late April against the Boston Red Sox and the Yankees thought they might get a boost with Pineda's return to the rotation, but that's on hold for the time being.
Yankees manager Joe Girardi told Erik Boland of Newsday that they will keep Pineda shut down for at least 10 days before the team lets him throw again, pending any setbacks with the injury.
Girardi said Pineda likely will be shut down at least 10 days before starting to throw again. Pineda said he is not worried long term— Erik Boland (@eboland11) June 1, 2014
The good news for the Yankees though is that they aren't concerned with the injury being a long-term thing and it sound like Pineda will be back sometime during the season. Before the 10-game suspension and landing on the disabled list, Pineda was 2-2 with a 1.83 in four starts for the Yankees; his first starts as a member of the Yankees since being acquired back in January of 2012 from the Seattle Mariners for Jesus Montero.
Pineda underwent season-ending surgery after an MRI revealed he had a tear in his shoulder that needed to be repaired. Pineda missed all of 2012 and pitched in the minors in 2013, but was never called up by the Yankees last year and earned the fifth starter's job in spring training.
Now, it's unclear when Pineda will be able to return to the Yankees because of this latest setback and Pineda's injury, along with Ivan Nova and CC Sabathia's injuries only further enhance the Yankees need to make a trade for a starting pitcher before the July 31 trade deadline.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Michael Pineda Getting Closer to Return for New York Yankees; Will Throw Simulated Game on Saturday
- New York Yankees: Michael Pineda Making Progress in Rehab from Injury
- New York Yankees: Injury Updates on Michael Pineda, Shawn Kelley
- New York Yankees Shut Down Michael Pineda Due to Inflammation in Back
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bkb