Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports first reported the Yanks interest in Morales and how it obviously made sense for the team.
Now comes Jon Heyman of CBS Sports to give more specifics, namely that Yanks owner Hal Steinbrenner personally wants to go after Morales:
Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner, who authorized more expenditures as needed, is thought to have some interest in Morales. The team spent $453 million on four free agents alone this winter, and the aim as always remains to win.
Steinbrenner has already made it clear that he will spend this summer if needed—and it's certainly needed.
The Yanks have two ailing, but very important bats in their lineup. Mark Teixeira and Carlos Beltran both have physical issues that have the potential to be nagging and season-ending. Losing either player (or both) would be devastating to the Bronx Bombers' offense and insurance is necessary to avoid that.
Morales seals up two spots for the Yanks. He gives them a bat that can get you at least 20 homers and 80 RBI in a full season, as well as a respectable first baseman who isn't a total liability at his position. It's likely a one-year deal that get him signed, so it isn't a long-term commitment and won't cost any good, young players in a trade.
If anything is going to happen with Morales, it'll happen after June 5. That's because any team that signs him will have to give up a draft pick if it's before that date.
Injuries should have taught the Bombers something: Never say never. A great player can be here today and gone tomorrow, thus making it absolutely necessary the Yanks shore themselves up for the rest of the 2014 campaign.
- Yankees Rumors: Kendrys Morales ‘Making Perfect Sense’ for Bombers in 2014
- New York Yankees: Kendrys Morales Should Be Signed by Bombers Even If Mark Teixeira Returns to Lineup
- New York Yankees Smart to Stay Away from Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales
- New York Yankees C Francisco Cervelli Drawing ‘Lots of Trade Interest’; Could Be Dealt During Spring: Report
- MLB Trade Rumors: GMs Say Yankees Have Pieces to Make 1 or 2 Big Deals
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1bid