With CC Sabathia on the disabled list until at least July, maybe longer with a degenerative knee injury, Ivan Nova out for the season with a torn ligament in his elbow and Michael Pineda out until at least June with a back/shoulder injury, the New York Yankees will be looking at trade options before July 31.
The most common and talked-about name that the Yankees could acquire is Cliff Lee of the Philadelphia Phillies, and they've been reported as to having interest in the 35-year-old left-hander, just like they did four years ago at the trade deadline when they nearly acquired him from the Seattle Mariners.
However, there could be a major snag in the Yankees plans to land Lee this summer, as he was placed on the 15-day disabled list with an elbow flexor strain.
Lee had said he was pitching with the injury over the last three weeks and finally spoke up after his last start reporting discomfort in the elbow. The Phillies and Lee are hoping two weeks of rest will heal the injury, however, if the rest doesn't help with the elbow and there is further damange, surgery hasn't been ruled out, which could force Lee to miss the remainder of the 2014 year.
If Lee's season ends because of surgery, then it takes the Yankees out of the chase to try and pry the left-hander away from the Phillies, who is owed $25 million this season, next season and has a vesting option for the 2016 season and the Phillies would love to have salary relief from Lee's contract and the Yankees would have been a prime candidate to take Lee's contract off the Phillies hands.
If Lee doesn't need surgery, then it could keep him on the trade block and the Yankees might maintain interest, however, it could be safe to say that the Yankees might need to think of alternate trade plans in case Lee isn't available for them to acquire this summer.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees Could Have Interest in Philadelphia Phillies SP Cliff Lee with Ivan Nova’s Injury: Report
- Philadelphia Phillies Could Be Potential Trade Destination for New York Yankees’ Ichiro Suzuki
- New York Yankees Could Look to Cliff Lee, Jimmy Rollins This Summer If Philadelphia Phillies are Sellers
- Chicago Cubs May Look to Trade NL ERA Leader Jeff Samardzija; New York Yankees Could Be Potential Landing Spot
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b7o