He was placed on the 15-day disabled list on May 11 with right knee inflammation and after the Yankees said that they wouldn't be expecting their left-handed ace back on May 26 which is when he would be eligible to come off the disabled list, but it seems like he will be out a lot longer than that.
One doctor told Dan Martin of the New York Post that Sabathia wil likely be out longer than the initial six weeks and could be out 8-12 weeks because of the knee condition.
“He may be able to practice by then, but I don’t think he’ll be back in the majors before eight-to-12 weeks,” said Dr. Selene Parekh, associate professor of surgery in the Division of Orthopaedic Surgery at Duke Orthopaedics.
If it's eight weeks, that puts Sabathia's return time around the end of July or early August. But if it's 12 weeks, then it would be sometime around September and thus taking him out for the majority of the 2014 season.
Sabathia was 3-4 with a 5.26 ERA and was struggling tremendously in his last couple of starts. In Sabathia's last start against the Milwaukee Brewers, Sabathia lasted 5.1 innings and gave up four runs in that start. Following the start against the Brewers, that's when Sabathia finally came forward and informed the Yankees of the pain in his knee.
Since the news of Sabathia's knee injury, the rumors of the Yankees making a trade between now and July 31 have been rampant and furious. If Sabathia is forced to miss 12 weeks, then that could really ramp up the Yankees efforts to make a trade before that time.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees SP CC Sabathia Could Need Surgery This Season on Degenerative Knee
- New York Yankees’ CC Sabathia Out Until at Least July with Degenerative Knee Injury
- New York Yankees Place CC Sabathia on 15-Day Disabled List with Right Knee Inflammation
- New York Yankees CC Sabathia Has ‘Degenerative Changes’ in Knee; No Timetable for Return
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b6b