When Sabathia is eligible to come off the 15-day disabled list on May 26, the Yankees have already said it would be considered an upset and shocking if the 34-year-old lefty ace would come off the DL and pitch again. Sabathia recently got a cortisone shot and a stem cell injection in the knee on Sunday.
If the knee condition doesn't get any better from the treatment, there's a very good possibility that Sabathia might need to have surgery on it; potentially as early as this season, as Brian Lewis of the New York Post reported.
"CC Sabathia was back at the Stadium on Sunday, but Joe Girardi said he’d be “kind of shocked” if the Yankees left-hander was back on the mound when he’s eligible to return from the disabled list May 26. Worse yet, Sabathia probably will need surgery at some point, and the Bombers haven’t ruled out the possibility it could happen this season."
After two terrible outings, the latest from two weeks ago against the Milwaukee Brewers in which he allowed four runs over just 5.1 innings, was when Sabathia finally admitted to the Yankees that he had discomfort in the knee which was where they team placed him on the disabled list on May 11.
An MRI done by Yankees team doctor Christopher Ahmad showed no structural damage done to the knee; Sabathia wanted a second opinion on the knee from Dr. James Andrews, who confirmed Ahmad's initial diagnosis of no structural damage. Chase Whitley made Sabathia's start this past week against the New York Mets and could be in line to make a second start for the Yankees in Sabathia's place since he held the Mets scoreless over 4.2 innings on Thursday night.
Sabathia was 3-4 with a 5.26 ERA and had looked like anything but an ace in 2014, even during games that he won, he lacked his former velocity and command on pitches and with this knee injury, it could be the reason why. The Yankees are still locked into Sabathia for the 2015 and 2016 seasons to go along with a vesting option for 2017.
If Sabathia has to miss any extensive time in the 2014 season, it will almost guarantee that the Yankees will be making a trade before the July 31 deadline for a starter and several names have already been linked to the team.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees SP CC Sabathia Getting Stem Cell Treatment for Degenerative Knee
- New York Yankees CC Sabathia Has ‘Degenerative Changes’ in Knee; No Timetable for Return
- New York Yankees: CC Sabathia’s Degenerative Knee Makes Contract a Nightmare
- New York Yankees Place CC Sabathia on 15-Day Disabled List with Right Knee Inflammation
- New York Yankees’ Ivan Nova to Undergo Season-Ending Tommy John Surgery on Tuesday
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1b5a