In the middle of the eighth inning during the New York Yankees 9-7 loss to the New York Mets, Carlos Beltran had to take himself out of the game as he felt discomfort in his elbow while taking swings downstairs in the team's batting cage.
Beltran hyper-extended his elbow and now, will have to have an MRI on the elbow to determine if he will need to miss time to recover from the injury and there's a slight chance that Beltran could land on the DL within the week.
Beltran's elbow isn't the only injury the Yankees are currently dealing with and they are slowly starting to pile up on them:
- CC Sabathia, who is on the 15-day disabled list with right knee inflammation, went to see Dr. James Andrews for a second opinion on his knee. If Sabathia is getting a second opinion on his knee from the world's most famous orthopedic surgeon, that might not bode well for the 33-year-old lefty ace of the Yankees, who has really struggled this season with command and lack of velocity.
- Mark Teixeira was given the night off (for the most part) against the Mets because of tightness in his legs that he felt in Sunday afternoon's loss to the Milwaukee Brewers; despite that tightness, he did hit a game-tying home run off of Francisco Rodriguez in the game. On Monday night, Teixiera came into the game in the bottom of the ninth inning and hit a single off of Mets closer Kyle Farnsworth, but the soreness to the legs was apparent because Teixeira couldn't get to second to make it a double and was held to the single.
- Ichiro Suzuki is currently day-to-day with a stiff back and was not available for the Yankees on Monday night against the Mets, which is why John Ryan Murphy hit for Beltran and then Brendan Ryan ran for Teixeira in the game. Ichiro did mention that he shouldn't hit the disabled list as a result of the back.
- Shawn Kelley hasn't pitched over the last couple of days because of back tightness, which is why guys like Adam Warren, Matt Thornton, Alfredo Aceves among others have seen time in the eighth inning, which is where Kelley would pitch as the team's setup man.
This is also with Michael Pineda on the disabled list with a back strain and might not make it back to the team until at least June, plus Ivan Nova out for the season with a torn ligament in his elbow, an injury he had Tommy John Surgery for last month.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees Carlos Beltran Avoids Serious Injury; Hopes to Return for Saturday’s Matchup Against Tampa Rays
- New York Yankees RF Carlos Beltran: I Just Want That One World Series Ring
- Carlos Beltran Already Proving Worth to New York Yankees
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ayo