The team announced on Mothers Day that Sabathia would be placed on the 15-day disabled list with right knee inflammation; right-handed reliever Matt Daley was re-called to take Sabathia's spot on the roster.
New York Yankees (@Yankees) May 11, 2014
This is on the heels of Sabathia's lackluster performance on Saturday night against his old team, the Milwaukee Brewers where he allowed four runs in 5.1 innings and surrendered a 2-1 lead for the Yankees; the team eventually tied the game to get Sabathia off the hook; the Yankees went on to lose 5-4 at Miller Park to Milwaukee.
Sabathia was pitching to a 3-4 record with a 5.26 ERA and had 48 strikeouts in 46 innings pitched, but at this stage of his career, his lack of velocity along with lack of command and dominance is clear and is no longer the ace pitcher the team shelled out $162 million for back in December of 2008.
The Yankees are still on hook for $23 million to Sabathia in 2015 and $2015 in 2016 with a $25 million vesting option in 2017, but the Yankees can buy out of that for $5 million. With Sabathia's troubles, the notion that the Yankees may trade for starting pitching at the trade deadline only continues to grow each week.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- New York Yankees SS Brendan Ryan Activated from 15-Day Disabled List; Michael Pineda Placed on DL
- New York Yankees Place David Robertson on 15-Day Disabled List with Pulled Groin
- Mark Teixeira Confident He’ll Return from 15-Day Disabled List for New York Yankees on Sunday
- Brendan Ryan Might Return Next Week Once New York Yankees Place Michael Pineda on Disabled List
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1awt