May 10th, 2014 at 11:07 PM
By Mike Warsaw

Derek Jeter has had many requests during his All-Star career with the New York Yankees. On Friday night in Milwaukee, Jeter got a request he has probably been asked for many times, a hug from a fan. Not such an odd question for a star of Jeter's stature. The problem was, that it during the New York Yankees and Milwaukee Brewers inter-league contest and Jeter was on the field.

A Male fan ran onto the field during the sixth inning of the game at Miller Park and approached the Yankee shortstop. "He said he wanted a hug," Jeter said. The fan who was wearing a white headband and a Ryan Braun Brewers jersey, told Jeter he just wanted a hug. "I was thinking I wasn't going to hug him. That was pretty much it." Baseball fans haven't seen this type of behavior since Morgana ran on the field kissing the likes of Pete Rose, Nolan Ryan, Johnny Bench, Steve Garvey and Cal Ripken Jr.

"I told him, "You're going to get in trouble," Jeter said. "And then he repeated that he wanted a hug, and I said, 'Look out'." Two Miller Park security guards tackled the misguided fan and slammed him to the ground as Jeter looked on. "I sort of stepped back because I saw them going to get him; they got out there quick," Jeter said. Jeter was surprised by the altercation but said at no time was he scared by the fan. "If you saw his face, it wasn't like he was coming out there angry. So no it wasn't scary."

Jeter wasn't scared, but Yankee skipper Joe Girardi definitely felt his heart beat a little harder as he watched from the dugout. "I was like 'Derek move'," Girardi said. "Derek just kind of stood there. Obviously he didn't feel threatened, but it's not what you want because you never know what people are up to. It happens and it's an unfortunate part of the game, but I thought the Brewers handled it well and got him out quickly."

Tags: Ahmad Bradshaw, Antrel Rolle, Football, Hakeem Nicks, Jason Pierre-Paul, Linval Joseph, Mathias Kiwanuka, New York, New York Giants, NFL, Osi Umenyiora, Prince Amukamara, San Francisco, San Francisco 49ers, Victor Cruz

No Responses to “Security Guards Slam Fan to Ground as He Runs on Field to Get a Hug from New York Yankees SS Derek Jeter”

I still think the GB game was better overall. But this is one of our handful of best games over these SB runs. I think SF is a very good team and were no frauds but still a little overrated by some.

2.  JimStoll says:

great article but you left out Dom Hixon, who had a terrific game. He made a couple of great catches setting up scores. Great body control when needed.
    if and when Nicks gets healthy, with a run game and pass protection, how does anyone stop eli Manning throwing to Nicks, Cruz and Hixon, with a little Bennet on the side?

3.  kujo says:

Ralph Vacchiano [email protected]

Ooops. Troy Aikman on Fox in 2nd Q said one “thing I have not seen that they talked about is using Mathias Kiwanuka more as a D-lineman.” At that point, Kiwanuka had played 15 plays. Nine at DE. Six at DT. Zero at LB.

Does anyone know where I can get that Kiwi breakdown on his snaps for all the defensive players for the SF game?

I thought Ralphie was a fan of Giants 101. All he had to do was come here to see that we had talked about that quite a lot. Aikman wasn’t the only one.

This is a good review, as usual, but I’m going to use this post as a way of saying that even smart guys like Haz sometimes fall prey to not thinking everything through.

The entire “still bad in the Red Zone and we traded field goals for touchdowns on Sunday and can’t do that” is bunk.

The first trip to the end zone, when the game was very much in question, Eli made a beautiful throw to Cruz and the latter made a great catch of a bullet. Touchdown. And we scored two other times down there.

But most of our trips into the Red Zone were under circumstances where the only mistake you can make in a game that you are dominating is to turn the ball over in tight quarters and give up points that are heading you toward first a 2-score margin and then a 3-score margin EVEN if you settle for field goals. In those circumstances you play it safe and “settle” for 3-points at worst. You don’t call risky plays and don’t make risky throws. You just make sure you don’t give up those points that make the Niners’ coming back that much harder.

I’m not saying it wouldn’t be nice to get 7 points instead of 3, but there are game situations where you will take 3 rather than take ANY real risk on getting 0. That’s pretty much the way the Giants played it on Sunday, and it was absolutely the correct approach.

Except for Coughlin’s weird clock management at the end of the first half, this team played as close to a perfect game as can be played against a good team. Those Red Zone situations were not failures at all. I acknowledge that Haz gave the team an A+, so he isn’t letting anything get in the way of that, but people on this site have mentioned the Red Zone stuff a number of times and that just isn’t correct.

•  JimStoll says:

this is usaually one of my pet peeves and reasons why I can never fully endorse Gilbride as OC
      over his tenure, we have often been one of the worst teams in terms of converting TDs inside the 20, despite being one of the best teams at getting inside the 20. Maddening!

But I agree with FF.
      After counter-punching for the first quarter, including shaking off two huge body blows on the two opening drives by SF, Eli and the offense went TD, FG, TD so that by the 10:00 mark of the 3d Q we were up 17-3. It was obvious by that point that only the Giants could beat the Giants in this game. And thus, the Giants took a pretty conservative, make no mistake approach from there on out. In fact, Eli almost made a killer mistake when he missed cruz and hit Rogers right in the gut at the 5. Had Rogers hung on, he might have taken it all the way back and turned a 20-3 game into 20-1- with the concomitant swing in momentum. After that near miss the 3 was just fine. In fact, each of the 3′s following the second TD made SF’s job incrementally harder. The first turned a 14 point game into a 17 point game — 3 scores. the next made it not only a three score game, but a 3 TD game. The final 3 made it a 3 score 2 2pt conversion game.
      So while one would rather have had 7′s at each opportunity, the 3′s were the result of knowing the scoreboard and the tempo of the game and playing conservatively to the 3.

Where I disagree is I don’t equate trying to score a TD as being risky. I think we were trying to score TDs and just didn’t execute. We attempted 5 FGs and had 2 TDs, I don’t think that’s good. I thought be failing SF still wasn’t completely out of the game. Maybe 38-14 still is in my head but 23-3 when it should have been 31-3 or 27-3 didn’t feel 100%.

Also, this has been an ongoing problem. We are leading the NFL in percentage of drives scored but not points. I think this clearly shows our inefficiency in the redzone or inside the 30. We kicked a ton of FGs vs TB and Carolina. We had to settle for a FG when starting a drive at the 2 vs Dallas. And we had a key TO inside the 10 vs Philly. I would just like to see us improve in this area. For all the areas we have improved in this is an area that hasn’t really gotten any better from game 1.

•  giantsfan says:

Weird or bad clock management? That really could have hurt us. I’m glad he missed the kick. I hope it’s not a pattern, but clock management has been curious lately with him. He tends to call time out way too early.

5.  Nosh.0 says:

Andy Reid panicking. Maybe I’m wrong on this but I thought the Eagles D was playing pretty well so far this season. If anyone is to blame for their 3-3 record one would think it starts and ends with Vick, who seemingly got very old over the offseason.

6.  Nosh.0 says:

As for this weeks game, it seems that Griffin is a right handed version of Vick, albeit one that protects the ball better, still has all his athleticism, actually puts in work in film study, and doesn’t have genital herpes. From what we know anyway.

• Valid says:

Vick was just never that good to begin with. People are letting that five-game sample at the end of 2010 cloud their judgment as to what kind of quarterback he really is (and that’s a bad one).

7.  TuckThis says:

You think Andy Reid panicked? I think Reid was forced to fire Castillo. Someone had to be the sacrificial lamb.
    The Iggles are 31st in scoring in the NFL. Sound like the D is the problem?

• Valid says:

8.  norm says:

Marty B Watch:

20 receptions through six games.

Currently on pace to finish the year with 53 catches.

This one’s going down to the wire, kids.

Although I think that knee needs a rest. Give the kid a week off.

9.  Chad Eldred says:

Great stuff.

Expanding a bit on Linval Joseph I think that there is an unintended benefit for Joseph having to be the interior line leader in Canty’s absence. He has had to step up and be the anchor of the interior line. This will only serve to enhance the effect of a healthy Canty returning to the middle. Bodes well for the stretch run.

Prince is developing into the player that everyone thought he would be when he was drafted. The key is that he has been able to get some consistent game action. As I’ve been saying over and over, health is the key for him. There is no questioning the ability, that’s not an issue.