In the fifth inning, Brian Roberts' RBI single got the Yankees on the board and pulled them within one run at 2-1 against the Los Angeles Angels. But Roberts big hit for the Yankees didn't come until the top of the ninth inning.
With Angels closer Ernesto Frieri on the mound, Roberts swung at the first pitch and drilled a 94-mile-an-hour fastball into the right field seats and the Yankees took a 4-3 lead. David Robertson got the save in the bottom of the ninth inning and the Yankees held on to win the game 4-3.
The home run for Roberts was his first of the 2014 season and his first as a member of the Yankees and it came at a time where the Yankees needed the hit the most; especially after losing two out of three to the Tampa Bay Rays over the weekend and losing the night before to the Angels the way the eighth inning went down.
Roberts, who is now hitting 7-for-14 in his last couple of games, has bumped his batting average up to .250, which might not seem like much, but a week ago, Roberts was hitting just .213, so Roberts is clearly swinging a much better bat in the first week of May.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Tags: Baseball, Brian Roberts, Los Angeles Angels, MLB, New York, New York Yankees
- Watch: John Ryan Murphy Hits 1st Career Home Run in New York Yankees 4-3 Win Vs. Angels
- Watch: Brian McCann Hits 1st New York Yankees Home Run Vs. John Lackey on Saturday
- John Ryan Murphy Hits 1st Career Home Run, Leads New York Yankees to 4-3 Win Over Los Angeles Angels
- Watch: New York Yankees’ Dean Anna Hits 1st Career Home Run Vs Clay Buchholz in 4-1 Victory
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1aru