It would actually happen on Tuesday, as Sweeny Murti of WFAN reported that the Yankees have in fact activated Ryan off the 15-day disabled list and have placed Michael Pineda on the 15-day disabled list from the back strain he suffered last week.
Yankees back to 25 tonight as Pineda suspension ends, he officially goes on DL and Brendan Ryan is activated— Sweeny Murti (@YankeesWFAN) May 6, 2014
Ryan has yet to play a single game for the Yankees this season as he injured his back during spring training and missed the entire first month with the injury. Ryan started his rehab process this past week with no setbacks and finally got moved up from the minors to the Yankees.
With Ryan on the DL, it allowed Dean Anna to make the team out of spring training, but with Pineda's suspension and their need for extra pitching depth, Anna got sent down to the minors.
Pineda was officially reinstated by MLB from his 10 game suspension for using pine tar in his last start against the Boston Red Sox, but during a simulated start, Pineda injured his back and had to leave the start which lead to him being placed on the DL and is expected to be out for 3-4 weeks.
Getting Ryan back will help provide some depth to the Yankees bench, as he can take over as a defensive replacement late in games as he is a superior defender in the field, although his hitting skills are not as great, but he was acquired to be a solid defender off the bench.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
- Brendan Ryan Might Return Next Week Once New York Yankees Place Michael Pineda on Disabled List
- New York Yankees SP Michael Pineda Out 3-4 Weeks with Grade 1 Back Muscle Strain
- Mark Teixeira Confident He’ll Return from 15-Day Disabled List for New York Yankees on Sunday
- New York Yankees 1B Mark Teixeira Isn’t Super Optimistic on Strained Hamstring; Could Land on Disabled List
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/1ar6