There had been some question about the contract that the New York Yankees gave Masahiro Tanaka last month; seven years and $155 million and if he was really worth it given he had never pitched in the United States before.
At one point, it had looked like Texas Rangers ace pitcher and fellow countryman Yu Darvish had spoken out on the contract that the Yankees had offered Tanaka this winter and felt like the overpaid for the 25-year-old starter who went undefeated in 2013.
“I don’t know too much about the new posting system, but I think the Yankees gave him too much."
Darvish's contract is for six years and $56 million under the old posting system in which teams would submit a blind bid in order to win the rights to negotiate with that player exclusively, and then the team would negotiate an actual contract. Two winters ago, the Rangers outbid the Yankees and several other teams for Darvish's services, but two years later, the posting system is more so like actual free agency and every team has a chance to negotiate and the player chooses his own team instead of a team bidding for negotiation rights.
However, Darvish quickly backtracked on his comments about Tanaka, and apologized on his Twitter account for any misunderstanding that occured and said he thought everyone knew he was joking about his comments.
Yu Darvish) (@faridyu) February 18, 2014
Shortly afterwards when he cleared everything up with him and Tanaka, Darvish said that Tanaka had fellow Japanese pitchers Hiroki Kuroda, Hisashi Iwakuma along with himself to thank for getting the kind of deal he did with the Yankees this past winter.
- Be sure to like Yankees 101 on Facebook, follow Yankees 101 on Twitter& +1 Yankees 101 on Google+
- Be sure to “like” Sports Media 101 on Facebook and to follow Sports Media 101 on Twitter
- Subscribe to Sports Media 101 using Google Currents
Just because the Super Bowl left NY/NJ it doesn't mean the NFL action is over. Come see the Gridiron Glory: The Best of the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Liberty Science Center see jerseys worn by legends, make the tough call under the hood, try on equipment and get immersed into football like never before.
- New York Yankees Expected to Heavily Pursue Japanese Pitcher Masahiro Tanaka This Winter
- New York Yankees Begin Pursuit of Masahiro Tanaka; Contact His Agent to Talk Deal
- Report: New York Yankees Making “Bold Push” to Land Masahiro Tanaka; Posting Bid Could Top $75 Million
- Rakuten Golden Eagles Will Post Masahiro Tanaka with New York Yankees Strongly Interested
- New York Yankees Expected to Meet with Masahiro Tanaka with His Arrival in United States
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/18e1